1289 Poor House Road
Phenix, Virginia 23959
Tax Map #35-A-74
Boundaries are Approximate
Poor House Farm contains 511.35± contiguous acres in Charlotte County, Virginia and is zoned General Agricultural. The tract is in a beautiful rural setting and has approximately 20 percent open land with the balance being wooded. At the farm entrance is a large section of tillable land and there are scattered hay fields and meadows throughout. The wooded portions contain predominantly 40 year old Loblolly Pine with pockets of Upland Hardwoods. Cub Creek fronts along approximately half of the total boundary. The property has beautiful rolling topography, has been well cared for and is under forest management.
This sale is subject to an agricultural lease with the tenant having until December 31, 2018 for harvesting all crops. The sale is further subject to a cell tower ground lease with the current owners retaining the income. The leased area for the cell tower is 100’ X 100’ or 0.23± acre, along with access and utility easements as shown on the survey.
Tract 2: In 2016 approximately 40 acres of the land was replanted in pine seedlings. The owners received a reforestation subsidy through the Commonwealth of Virginia, Department of Forestry (VDOF). Under terms of the subsidy, VDOF could require reimbursement of the reforestation subsidy if the replanted trees were removed. VDOF reimbursement will not be required unless the purchaser removes the new plantation and if required, the amount of the reimbursement will total approximately $4,000.00, to which penalty and interest could be added.
Directions to Poor House Farm
From Highway 40 in Phenix, VA go south on Rt. 617, Tola Rd. follow and go left on Rt. 676, Poorhouse Rd. Follow Poorhouse Rd. to its end at Poor House Farm.
Direction to Sale Site
Board meeting room in the Charlotte County Administration Building – 250 LeGrande Avenue, Charlotte Court House, Virginia 23923. From Rt. 40 in Charlotte Courthouse go southeast on LeGrande Ave. to County Administration Building on right.
Contact Auction Company for a detailed Bidder Information Packet including complete Terms and Conditions of Sale.
Basic Terms and Conditions of the Auction
- REGISTRATION: Bids will be accepted only from registered bidders. Registration begins at 2:00 PM. Please bring a driver’s license for identification.
- AUCTION SALE: The sale is by the Order of the Circuit Court for the County of Charlotte, Virginia. The Property will be sold subject to Seller confirmation of the contract sales price and Court approval. The sale is further subject to an agricultural lease with the tenant having until December 31, 2018 for harvesting all crops and subject to a cell tower ground lease with the current owners retaining the income. ALL SALES ARE FINAL. All property is auctioned “AS IS, WHERE IS” with all faults in its condition at the time of sale without recourse by way of refund, reduction of the purchase price, or otherwise. Bidders should perform such independent investigation with respect to the property as they deem necessary or appropriate before bidding.
- FINANCING: Your bidding and purchase of the property is not conditional upon financing. Be sure you have arranged financing, if needed, and are capable of paying cash at closing.
- LIABILITY: Bidders inspecting property enter at their own risk. Auction Company, Special Commissioner and Owners assume no risk for bodily injury or damage to personal property.
- BIDDING: Qualified bidders may bid on individual land tracts, individual timber tracts, any grouping of tracts or on the Property as a whole. The auctioneer will determine all bid increments. All decisions by the auctioneer regarding bid acceptance are final.
- ANNOUNCEMENTS: Announcements on day of sale take precedence over all prior releases, verbal and written, concerning this auction sale.
- BUYER’S PREMIUM: The Buyer’s Premium on the real estate is five percent (5%) of the high bid amount. The Buyer’s Premium will be added to the high bid to determine the final sales price.
- AGENCY: The Auction Company and its representatives represent the Seller, Russell O. Slayton, Jr., Special commissioner.
- REAL ESTATE DEPOSIT: A deposit in the amount of ten percent (10%) of the contract sales price will be required on day of sale. The deposit is payable by cash, cashier’s check, or pre-approved personal check payable to Woltz & Associates, Inc. Escrow Account. Personal checks will be approved if the Buyer presents a bank letter stating that the Buyer is a customer of the bank and the checking account is in good standing.
- REAL ESTATE DEED: The real estate will be conveyed by a Special Warranty deed free and clear of liens, subject, however, to any rights of way, easements and restrictions of record. The balance of the purchase price is due at settlement within (30) days after acceptance of the contract sales price, as evidenced by Court Order. There will be no assigning of tracts or deeds between bidders. Tracts will be deeded in the manner purchased at the auction.
- DEFAULT: If the successful bidder fails to remit the deposit in guaranteed funds, or if the successful bidder fails to remit the balance due by the closing deadline in guaranteed funds, the bidder will be in default, and will be liable for all losses suffered by, and costs incurred by, the seller, including collection costs, reasonable attorney’s fees and any reduction in funds received from a subsequent sale of the property.
- BOUNDARY LINES: Boundaries on aerial photos and topo maps are approximate. Refer to survey for exact boundary locations.
- GENERAL: The information contained in this brochure is subject to verification by all parties relying on it. No liability for its accuracy, error, or omissions is assumed by the Seller or the Auction Company.