This magnificent 540± acre country estate located in the Maywood section of the beautiful Sinking Creek Valley in Craig County, Virginia, consists of approximately 400± acres of pasture and cropland, and 129± acres of mixed hardwoods. The farm boasts roughly one mile of frontage on both sides of Sinking Creek and long road frontage on Route 42/Cumberland Gap Road and Route 629 (North Side Road). A large portion of the farm consists of rolling pastures and tillable acreage. The other section of the main farm is mixed hardwoods and open pastures. Ideal for homesites, recreational buyers or continued farming. This pristine property also contains multiple residences (many in need of repair), an unfinished 2.5 story log home, multiple outbuildings and barns.
Tract 1: 61.00± Acres. Beautiful partially fenced hayfield with an excellent building site and incredible views of Sinking Creek Mountain. Frontage on Sinking Creek and VA-42.
Tract 2: 22.25± Acres. This tract fronts along Sinking Creek and includes a beautiful 2.5 story partially completed log home that was built on the original homestead foundation that dates back to the early 1800’s. The logs used to construct the home were collected from old log cabins in the area. Logs are original hand-hewn square logs. The unique craftsmanship of Roger Davis (a Montana Builder) is displayed in the hand cut stonework that was used on the dual exterior chimneys, foundation, and four fireplaces in the home. Like the logs, the stones were collected from around the local area. There are two wells on this tract. The tract also includes multiple outbuildings, barn, sheds and a pond.
Tract 3: 34.54± Acres. Mostly open tract with a wooded area on the western boundary. Incredible views of Sinking Creek Mountain with a bold stream running through the property. Elevated building site and a shared driveway. Ideal tract for horses.
Tract 4: 82.98± Acres. Open land with long frontage along Sinking Creek. Great tract for homesite with large acreage. Excellent grazing tract and partially fenced. Includes a barn and fronts VA-42.
Tract 5: 15.39± Acres. SELLS ABSOLUTE regardless of price. 15.39 acres of open meadow, gently sloping to Sinking Creek. Ideal homesite or weekend retreat. Fronts on VA-42 and State Route 629/Northside Rd.
Tract 6: 11.54± Acres. Create your countryside getaway on this tract. A large open meadow runs along Sinking Creek and creates a fabulous setting for recreation use and/or excellent for horses/grazing. This tract consists of a 4-bedroom, 1 bath, 2-story farm house and barn, both in need of some TLC. The home is currently heated by propane but can be converted back to woodstove for heat. This tract would make a great homesite or weekend retreat. Fronts on State Route 629/Northside Rd.
Tract 7: 136.60± Acres. A good mix of open land and hardwoods. The tract includes a 2-bedroom, 1 bath, cinderblock cabin with a woodstove and in need of TLC but would make an ideal hunting cabin or weekend retreat. Well installed 10 years ago and property has an old barn/shed. The land has a great elevated building site at 2600 ft. A bold spring runs down from Sinking Creek Mountain onto the property. Ideal recreational tract with abundant wildlife. Fronts on State Route 629/Northside Rd.
Tract 8: 64.39± Acres. Build your dream home or weekend getaway on this tract. A good mix of open and wooded land and offers an elevated building site at 2500 ft. Property has great views, abundant wildlife and an intermittent stream. Fronts on State Route 629/Northside Rd.
Tract 9: 3.09± Acres. SELLS ABSOLUTE regardless of price. This tract includes the old Maywood School and house with the old cafeteria in the basement. Buildings have fallen into disrepair from the deteriorated roofs. Buildings will be shown by pictures only; no preview of the interiors allowed for safety reasons.
Tract 10: 108.29± Acres. This tract is mostly wooded with some open areas and has an abundance of wildlife making it an excellent recreational/hunting tract. There is an elevated building site in the center of the tract that would be a great homesite or weekend retreat that overlooks Sinking Creek Valley. Fronts on VA-42.
Directions to Real Estate
Address 9401 Cumberland Gap Rd., New Castle, VA. In the Maywood Area of Craig County. Property on both sides of Cumberland Gap Rd (VA-42)
From Salem take VA-311N go 19.3 miles into the town of New Castle and turn left onto Cumberland Gap Rd (VA-42) and continue for 16.5 miles (Maywood Area – Property on both sides of VA-42).
From Blacksburg take US-460 W toward Bluefield for approximately 8 miles then turn right onto Blue Grass Trl/VA-42. Continue to follow VA-42 for 13 miles (Maywood Area – Property on both sides of VA-42).
Directions to Sale Site
Simmonsville Volunteer Fire Department –Address: 5738 Cumberland Gap Rd, Newport, VA 24128
From Salem take VA-311N go 19.3 miles into the town of New Castle and turn left onto Cumberland Gap Rd (VA-42) and continue for 19.5 miles Simmonsville Volunteer Fire Department is on the right.
From Blacksburg take US-460 W toward Bluefield for approximately 8 miles then turn right onto Blue Grass Trl/VA-42. Continue to follow VA-42 for 10 miles and Simmonsville Volunteer Fire Department is on the left.
Any broker actively licensed in the Commonwealth of Virginia whose agent properly registers the successful high bidder will be paid a two percent (2%) commission at settlement. Registration must be on a Woltz & Associates, Inc. Broker Participation Application form and contain the name, address and signature of agent and prospect as well as Broker’s license number and Federal Tax ID number. The form must be received in the office of Woltz & Associates, Inc. by 12:00 noon on Monday, September 24, 2018. If prospect attends preview, agent must attend with prospect. Additionally, agent must attend sale and co-register with prospect on auction day. Only the first broker to register the high bidder will be paid a commission. Agents acting as principals, on behalf of licensed real estate agents, on behalf of family members, on behalf of entities in which they hold an ownership interest or who represent prospects who have had prior contact with Seller or Auction Company are not eligible.
Basic Terms & Conditions of the Auction
- REGISTRATION: Bids will be accepted only from registered bidders. Registration begins at 3:00PM at the Simmonsville Volunteer Fire Dept. and sale starts at 4:00PM, Tuesday, September 25, 2018. Please bring a driver’s license for identification.
- TERMS OF SALE: All property is sold “AS IS, WHERE IS.” Bidders should perform such independent investigation with respect to the property as they deem necessary or appropriate. ALL SALES ARE FINAL.
- AGENCY: THE AUCTION COMPANY AND ITS REPRESENTATIVES REPRESENT THE SELLER, THE ESTATE OF CHARLES J. VIA, JR.
- ANNOUNCEMENTS: Announcements day of sale take precedence over all prior communications, verbal and written, concerning this sale.
- BIDDING: The auctioneer will determine bid increments. The tracts may be bid upon individually and in any combination.
- BUYER’S PREMIUM: A Buyer’s Premium will be charged. The Buyer’s Premium on real estate is five percent (5%) of the high bid amount. The Buyer’s Premium is added to the high bid amount to determine the contract sales price.
- DEPOSIT: A deposit in the amount of ten percent (10%) of the contract sales price (high bid plus buyer’s premium) will be required on day of sale. The deposit is payable by cashier’s check or a pre-approved personal check made payable to Woltz & Associates, Inc. Escrow Account. A personal check will be approved if, prior to or at the time of registration, the bidder presents a bank letter stating the bidder is a customer of the bank and that the checking account is in good standing.
- CLOSING DATE FOR REAL ESTATE: The balance of the purchase price is due at settlement on or before November 8, 2018.
- TRANSFER OF TITLE TO REAL ESTATE: The real estate will be conveyed by special warranty deed free and clear of liens subject, however, to any recorded rights of way, easements, conditions and restrictions.
- FINANCING: The sale of the real estate is a cash transaction and is not conditioned upon the bidder obtaining financing. Bidders should arrange any necessary financing prior to registering to bid.
- BIDDER PACKET: A Bidder Packet with information regarding the real estate is available from the Auction Company and posted on our website at woltz.com.
- BROCHURE: The information contained in this brochure is subject to independent verification by prospective bidders. Neither the Auction Company nor the Seller assume any liability for its accuracy or any errors or omissions. Boundaries shown on aerial photographs are approximate. Please refer to surveys in Bidder Packet for boundary locations.
- Aerial Photography
- Topographic Map
- Preliminary Survey
- Map - Exhibit
- Title Commitment - Tract 1
- Title Commitment - Tract 2
- Title Commitment - Tract 3
- Title Commitment - Tract 4
- Title Commitment - Tract 5
- Title Commitment - Tract 6
- Title Commitment - Tract 7
- Title Commitment - Tract 8
- Title Commitment - Tract 9
- Title Commitment - Tract 10
- Broker Participation Form
- Purchase Agreement
- Exhibit A (Survey)
- Exhibit B (Covenants and Restrictions)